Sometimes Windows 10 PC won’t sleep even if you choose a sleep timer. It’s because some applications or some settings are preventing the Windows to enter into sleep mode. But, there are way to figure out what’s causing the issue.
If your Windows 10 PC is not going to sleep mode, then you have to configure some settings. There are multiple ways to fix the problem. I will show you all methods in this article.
Allow Computer to sleep from Power Options
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and click on Settings.
- Then navigate to System > Power & Sleep.
- Make sure you have selected a time in the Sleep section.
- Click on Additional Power Settings.
- Beside the Balanced section, click on Change plan settings.
- Then click on Change advanced power settings.
- In the Power Options window, scroll down and double-click on Multimedia settings. Under Multimedia settings, double click on When sharing media. In Settings, change Prevent idling to sleep to Allow the computer to sleep.
Don’t Allow Mouse to Wake Up the Computer
If you have a sensitive mouse, slight movement of anything near the mouse can wake up the PC. So, you have to disable the mouse to wake up your pc.
- Press Windows + S key at the same time.
- In the search bar, type Device Manager.
- Click on the Device Manager from the search results.
- Double click on Mice and other pointing devices.
- Right click on your Mouse name and tap on Properties.
- In the Power Management Tab, deselect Allow this device to wake the computer.
- Click Ok.
Prevent Network Adapters to awake the PC
Network adapters have permission to wake up your PC. And, you have to disable their ability to wake up the device.
- Press Windows + S at the same time.
- Search for Device Manager and click on Device Manager from the search results.
- Double tap on Network Adapters.
- Right click on each of the items listed in this section. Go to Properties. And deselect Allow this device to wake the computer in the Power Management section.
Fix using Energy Report
If none of these methods work for you, then here is the final one that will certainly help. Because it will generate an in-depth analysis on why your PC can’t go to sleep mode.
- Windows + S at the same time.
- Search for CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type this command cd %USERPROFILE%/Desktop and press Enter.
- Now type this command powercfg /energy and press Enter.
- Try to put your computer to Sleep mode which won’t work.
- It will analyze the issues and you will see Energy efficiency problems were found in CMD.
- A detailed report will be generated on C:\Users\name\Desktop\energy-report.html
- Go to Desktop and open the HTML file in a browser.
- You can see which programs are preventing your PC from going to sleep mode. You can change settings on those applications to solve the issue.