How to update Google Chrome on any device?
Chrome is the most popular browser worldwide, and Google keeps it updated. Every once in a while, there’s an update for Chrome. If you use Chrome on your computer, then probably Google Chrome auto-updates when there’s an update.
But for smartphone users, you have to update Google Chrome manually. Also, if Chrome on your PC doesn’t auto-update, you can update it easily.
Should you update your Chrome browser?
It’s essential to use the latest versions of any browser. Older versions may have some bugs which may cause security threats, or new features might be added to the latest version of Chrome.
Google fixes all the bugs ASAP, and you should update to the latest version when there’s an update available. Older versions of Chrome can also conflict with some features and make it slow.
How to identify if there’s an update?
The best thing about Google Chrome is you don’t need to open the Settings page or the app store to determine if an update is available. You can know just by opening the Chrome browser.
Open Chrome browser on your computer or Android smartphone and look at the menu icon at the top right corner.
If the icon is black, it already has the latest version of Chrome. The update was released less than 2 days ago if the color is green. If the color is orange, the update is around 4 days old. But the update was released at least 7 days ago if the color is red.
How to update Chrome on your computer?
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Click on the menu icon at the top right corner.
- Navigate to Help > About Chrome.
- Chrome will check for updates. If there’s a button called Update Google Chrome, that means there’s an update available.
- Click on Update Google Chrome.
- Wait for it to download and install the update. Then click on Relaunch.
Note: If there’s no update button, you are already using the latest version of Chrome, and you can see Chrome is up to date in the About Chrome section.
How to update Google Chrome on Android
- Open the Play Store on your Android device.
- Search for Chrome.
- Tap on Update. (It will only be visible if there’s an update.)
- It will update Google Chrome to the latest version.
How to update Google Chrome on iOS
- Open App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your Apple account profile picture at the top right corner.
- Scroll down and go to the UPCOMING AUTOMATIC UPDATES section.
- Tap on the UPDATE button.
- Wait for a moment, and Google Chrome will be updated.
Google Chrome rarely pushes new features. Most updates are bug fixes, and Google also recommends using the latest version.