If you are having trouble on opening .swf files on your computer, this how-to guide will help you to figure out how to open swf files on Windows/Mac very easily.
There are a couple of ways to fix this problem. And, like as always we will be discussing all possible method of opening swf files on your device. But, first of all, let’s know what’s a .swf file is and how it works.
What’s a .swf file?
.swf is a file type which is stands for small web format, but also refered as ShockWave Flash. These files are designed using Adobe Flash Software. .swf files can contains audio, video, browser games or animations and their size are really small for the sake of portability.
And, Flash software is required to open swf files on your device. That’s why you won’t be able to open swf on your windows/Mac without installing any third party software that support flash.
How to open a .swf file?
You can open a .swf file using your web browser with flash enabled, or you can install a dedicated .swf player to open swf files.
How to open swf files on Windows?
The best way of opening a .swf file is by using a flash player. It’s a very reliable and painless method.
- Download Swiff Player for Windows
- Run the installation file and install it on your Windows PC.
- Right click on the swf file which you want to open(Unzip it, if the file is inside a .zip folder).
- From the drop-down menu, click on Open with and select Swiff Player.
- The swf file will be running on the Swiff player smoothly.
Open a swf file using web browser
If you try to open a swf file using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, they will simply download the file on your device. You will need Internet Explorer for this.
- SWF files are always inside a .zip file. So, unzip the swf file to your computer if necessary.
- Right click on the swf file and from the drop-down menu, click on Open with.
- If Internet Explorer is on the list, select it, or click Choose another app.
- Select Internet Explorer and Click OK.
- It will open Internet Explorer and you will see a pop-up. By default, IE blocks flash files. So, click Allow blocked content from the pop-up.
- And, then the swf file will be opened on your browser.
How to open a .swf file on Mac?
Not necessarily everyone use Windows. If you are a Mac user, what should you do? The best way to open a SWF file on Mac is to install a stand alone Flash Player.
- Download and install Elmedia Player on your Mac.
- Open the player and directly open the SWF files with t his app.
- After adding the SWF file to the player, click on the Play icon.
How to open a .swf file on Android & iPhone?
- Go to Online Video Converter.
- Open the swf file from your device, Google Drive, Dropbox or direct URL.
- Select MP4 format. There are dozens of other formats too.
- You can change the resolution if you want.
- Click Convert.
- It will convert the SWF file to mp4 file. Download the MP4 file so that you can play it with any media player.
The best way to open a SWF file is installing a Flash Player, which is straight forward, doesn’t need that much work and it can open SWF file in a few clicks.
Most of the browsers doesn’t allow Flash nowadays. So, it’s hard to open them using most popular browsers. On the other hand, most of the SWF players are lightweight and free.
And, one thing to consider, if you only want to open a SWF file for one-time use, I would suggest you to converter the video file into a more common format so that a regular media player can open it.