Every subreddit is a community on reddit. In order to start your own community, you have to know how to create a subreddit.
The beautiful thing is it’s completely free to create a subreddit and you can create multiple subreddits from a single profile.
It takes less than a minute to start your own community on Reddit. But after creating a subreddit, you have to modify it in your own style, that’s when you need some decent amount of time.
In this article, we will be learning how to create a subreddit on Reddit and how to do some basic operation.
How to create a subreddit on Reddit?
- Open reddit.com from your browser and make sure you are logged into your account.
- Visit https://www.reddit.com/subreddits/create
- Name is the most important field here. Because it will become the /r/name for your community and you can’t change that. You can’t even lowercase the letter later. The name can’t have space and has to be between 3-21 characters. You can use underscores in the name if you want.
- The topic will help relevant users to find your community. Reddit provides you a list of available topics. If none of the matches your intent, select None of These Topics.
- Description: Give a small description so that people can understand what your community is based on.
- Community type is important. It defines how users can engage with the community. If the community is Public, anyone can view, post, and comment on the community. If the community is Restricted, people can view the community but only approved members can post on the community. If the community is Private, only approved members can view and post to the community.
- Adult content– If your subreddit is going to host adult content, make sure to tick on the NSFW.
- Click on Create Community to create your subreddit.
Note: The name has to be unique. If there’s any subreddit already available with the name, you won’t be able to use the name.
Once you have the subreddit created, let’s change the subreddit icon.
How to change the subreddit icon?
- Go to your subreddit.
- Click on Add Icon.
- Select the icon of your subreddit and Upload.
If you want to update your current icon, just click on the Update icon and upload your new icon.
How to make a welcome message for subreddits?
In the feed of your newly created subreddit, you can see a link called Make a welcome message or
- Go to https://www.reddit.com/r/yoursubredditname/about/edit
- Scroll down and enable Send welcome message to new members
- Now the message body has a 5,000 characters limit. But if you keep the message within 500 characters, members will see the message as a pop-up when they join your subreddit. But if your message is more than 500 characters, the message will be sent as a direct message when a user joins your subreddit.
- Click on Save Changes to save the welcome message.
Note: You can preview your welcome message or send yourself a test message to check how it looks.
How to set subreddit rules?
Rules are important to run a community smoothly. Rules are displayed on the right sidebar of a subreddit. It’s visible to your subreddit when someone visits the subreddit or tries to create a post on your subreddit.
You can add multiple rules to your subreddit, here’s how:
- Visit your subreddit page and click on MOD TOOLS.
- Scroll down and on the left navigation bar, click on Rules under the RULES AND REGULATIONS section.
- Click on Add rule.
- Enter the name of your rule, select where it applies to, provide a short report reason and enter a full description of your rule. (500 character limit)
- Click on Add new rule.
The rule will be added to your subreddit. Now continue the process for as many rules you want to add.
How to check the traffic stats of your subreddit?
You can check how many users visited your subreddit and how many page views you got. It also shows the traffic medium such as New Reddit, Old Reddit, Reddit Apps, etc.
- Visit your subreddit and click on MOD TOOLS.
- Scroll down to the bottom and from the left navigation menu, click on Traffic Stats
- You will see a detailed graph.
This is for now. You can visit our Reddit category to learn more about Reddit “how-to”s.