Instagram is one of the most popular social media sites with over a billion active users. But you may want to get rid of instagram for many reasons. Maybe you are concerned about your privacy or you are wasting hours of valuable time.
Like Facebook, Instagram also offers you two options. Either you can deactivate your Instagram account and take a break for a while. Or, you can delete your instagram account permanently with all of your activities.
Deactivating vs Deleting your Instagram account
If you deactivate your account, your data won’t be deleted. And, you can come back whenever you want. But, once you delete your account, it will be gone forever with all of your posts and comments.
How to delete your Instagram account
- Open instagram.com in any browser on your smartphone/computer.
- Login to your Instagram account which you want to delete.
- Visit Delete Your Account page. If you are not already logged in, it will ask you to log in.
- In Why are you deleting your account? Section, select any reason.
- After that, enter your Instagram password.
- Click on Permanently Delete My Account.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen. Click on Yes to delete your Instagram account.
How to download your account data
- Go to Instagram.com and login into your account.
- Click on your profile picture. A menu will appear. Click on Profile from the menu.
- In your profile page, click on the Security icon. A menu will appear once again.
- Tap on Privacy & Security.
- Scroll down and go to the Data Download section. Click on Request Download.
- Enter the email address where you want the backup file.
- Click Next.
- Enter the password of your Instagram account and request download.
- You will get an email with a backup file from Instagram.
Facts to know before deleting an Instagram account
- When you hit the delete button, Instagram will keep your account deactivated for 30 days. And, you won’t be able to login into your account once you hit the delete button.
- You can download all of your Instagram data before deleting your account. Once deleted, you won’t be able to recover anything from your account.
- Your username will die with your account. In the future, if you want to come back to the platform, you will have to pick a different username. Because usernames are not recyclable on Instagram.
- You can’t delete your Instagram account from the app. You will need to complete the process from a browser.
How to deactivate your instagram account
If you don’t want to go forever from instagram, you can deactivate and take a break for a while. To deactivate your instagram account:
- Open instagram.com in any browser from your smartphone/computer.
- Login to your instagram account if you aren’t logged in already.
- Click on your instagram profile picture from the top right corner. Now tap Profile and then click on Edit Profile.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on Temporarily disable my account.
- Enter the password of your Instagram account and click on Temporarily Disable Account.
How to reactivate your Instagram account?
You can only reactivate your instagram account if you temporarily disabled your account. If you have deleted your account, there is no way to reactivate it.
However, to reactivate your deactivated account:
- Go to instagram.com from any browser.
- Log in with your username and password.
- If you forgot your password, you can reset your password.
Frequently asked questions
Can I download all of my uploaded photos and videos?
You can download your all photos, videos, etc from Instagram Settings. Go to Instagram.com > Profile > Settings > Privacy and Security. Scroll down and under the Data Download tab, click on Request download. Enter the email where you want to receive data. Then, enter the password of your Instagram account and request data. You will get an email with your data within 48 hours.
Can I use the username of my deleted account?
Nah, Instagram doesn’t allow reusing the username of a deleted account. It’s just for security purposes so that no one can copy a deleted account.
Can I Cancel the deletion after I press the delete button?
No, there is no way to cancel the process once you hit that Permanently delete Account button. Your account will be deleted after 30 days. But, you won’t be able to access your account anymore.
How to delete an Instagram account which is using my photos?
Unfortunately, you can’t delete an instagram account which you don’t have access to. You need to type the password before temporarily disabling/permanently deleting an account.