Though Instagram is the most popular social network for uploading photos and short videos, it has some dark sides. Recently, it’s found they stored millions of users passwords in plain text. As well as, they are tracking everything of their users.
If you want to take care of your privacy or take a break from social media, you can either permanently delete Instagram account or you can temporarily disable it.
You can reactivate a disabled account. But, if you delete your account, there is no way to reactivate it. You can download all the data if you want from Instagram before deleting your account.
How to permanently delete your Instagram account?
- First of all, go to Instagram.com and login to your account.
- Then Go to Delete Your Account page.
- Select the reason for your deletion from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your password to verify it’s you.
- Click on Permanently delete my account.
- Your account will be deleted.
Once your account is deleted, your unique username is also gone forever. You won’t be able to reuse the account for a new account too. Neither can you get any data of your deleted account.
If you want to download all of your videos and photos from your Instagram account, follow these steps:
- Go to Instagram.com and login to your account.
- Click on your profile picture. A menu will appear. Click on Profile from the menu.
- In your profile page, click on the Security icon. A menu will appear once again.
- Tap on Privacy & Security.
- Scroll down and go to Data Download section. Click on Request Download.
- Enter the email address where you want the backup file.
- Click Next.
- Enter the password of your Instagram account and request download.
- You will get an email with a backup file from Instagram.
How to temporarily deactivate Instagram?
- Sign in to Instagram.com, because you can’t do it from the app.
- Click on your profile icon and go to your profile.
- Click on Edit Profile.
- Scroll down to the page and click on Temporarily Disable My account.
- Select the reason of your deactivation, enter the password of your account and Temporarily Disable Account.
Note: Your profile, photos, comments etc will be hidden as long as you keep your account deactivated. Once you activate your account, they will be available for your followers.
How to reactivate Instagram Account?
You can only reactivate your Instagram account, only if you have temporarily disabled your account. If you deleted your account permanently, there is no chance to reactivate your account.
To reactivate your account, just Go to Instagram.com and login with your username and password. Your account will be reactivated once you successfully log in.
But, mind it, you will have to know your password to permanently delete, or temporarily disable or to reactivate your account. If you forget the password after deactivating the account, reset the password.
Frequently asked questions
Can I download all of my uploaded photos and videos?
You can download your all photos, videos, etc from Instagram Settings. Go to Instagram.com > Profile > Settings > Privacy and Security. Scroll down and under Data Download tab, click on Request download. Enter the email where you want to receive data. Then, enter the password of your Instagram account and request data. You will get an email with your data within 48 hours.
Can I use the username of my deleted account?
Nah, Instagram doesn’t allow reusing the username of a deleted account. It’s just for security purposes so that no one can copy a deleted account.